Monday, September 24, 2018
LCPS Mission: The Las Cruces Public Schools, in partnership with students, families, and the community, provides a student-centered learning environment that cultivates character, fosters academic excellence, and embraces diversity.
Back-to-School & Registration

2018/19 School Year

Back-to-School News

As the start of the new school year approaches, we will continue to update this page with important back to school information regarding registration, immunizations, transportation, etc. Please check back in the next few weeks for updates.

See Our Most Requested Links

School Buses

To find your child’s bus routes and bus stops, click here. Students who are eligible to ride a school bus can find the street intersection closest to their homes. Routes are being updated, so please check back. If you have questions or cannot find your bus stop/route, contact the LCPS bus contractor, STS of New Mexico, at 523-5686.
Additional questions about bus service can also be answered by your child’s school or the LCPS Transportation Office at 527-5998.

Age of Enrollment

From LCPS Policy JEB: Age of Enrollment and Regulation

  • Pre-Kindergarten: Children receiving special education services pursuant to state regulations, may be admitted to a pre-kindergarten program in the public schools. Children must be at least three years of age at any time during the school year in which they enroll.
  • Kindergarten: Children admitted to the LCPS kindergarten program must be at least five years old prior to 12:01 a.m. on September 1 of the year of enrollment.
  • First Grade: Children admitted to an LCPS first-grade program must be at least six years old prior to 12:01 a.m. on September 1 of the year of enrollment, or beginning with the 2006-2007 school year, children that will be six years of age after 12:00 a.m. on September 1 of the year of enrollment may enroll in first grade if one of the following criteria is met:
    • successful completion of a year of New Mexico Public Education Department accredited public or private kindergarten or
    • transfer from a New Mexico Public Education Department accredited public or private school first grade program

Documents Required To Register a Child To Attend LCPS

  • For new elementary students, please fill out the enrollment form prior to going to the school: Elementary Enrollment Form | Spanish, interactive.
  • Proof of child’s date of birth Acceptable documents are:
    • birth certificate (state certified — no copies accepted), or
    • passport/visa
  • Current immunization records (LCPS Policy JLCB: Immunization of Students and Regulation) No student will be enrolled in an LCPS school unless the student can present immunization records. A student may be exempt from immunization requirements if certain conditions are met, as delineated in the above policy and regulation.
  • Child’s Social Security card (optional)
  • Proof of residence: Presenting proof of the child’s home address is mandatory to determine his/her school attendance zone.  Acceptable proof of residence includes:
    • If you are a homeowner:
      -Current property tax bill or
      -Current utility bill (electric, water, natural gas, propane)
    • If you are a renter:
      -Current rental lease agreement or,
      – If the lease is more than one year old, a copy of the lease AND a current utility bill
    • Shared housing: Parent and homeowner must jointly fill out a Student Residency form, available at any school. Homeowner must provide a copy of current property tax bill of homeowner with whom student and parent(s) are living or a copy of rental lease agreement, or, if lease is more than one year old: a copy of the lease AND a current utility bill of renter with whom student and parent(s) are living AND at least two supporting documents.

Which School Will My Child Attend?

To verify which school your student will attend, call the LCPS Transportation Department at (575) 527-5998 and tell them your address, or visit the School Locator and Bus Information by Home Address. Once you know which school your child will attend, you can go to that school and register your child.

Go to Top