Las Cruces Public Schools Foundation
Many Hands, Many Hearts, One Goal.
Together, Supporting Our Children
The LCPS Foundation High School Senior Scholarship Program is NOW OPEN! Applications must be submitted by April 3, 2017 at 12:00 midnight.
A review committee will select recipients based on the information submitted by the applicant. Some scholarship funds have specific eligibility requirements established by the donor. Please review the scholarship descriptions and requirements listed online carefully! The Foundation Scholarship Committee will make their selections and the recipient will be notified by email on or around May 10, 2017. While applicants may apply for more than one scholarship, only one (1) will be awarded to an individual.
The Las Cruces Public Schools Foundation is a private, nonprofit corporation that exists for the sole purpose of attracting and managing private gifst and project funds to enhance and enrich the educational experiences of the students of the Las Cruces Public Schools.
The mission of the Las Cruces Public Schools Foundation is to serve as a private partner with the district to provide both public and private funds to the students and staff in the Las Cruces Public School District to support and enhance the educational experiences of students, promote innovation in the classroom, increase community involvement in education and pursue and recognize excellence in teaching and learning.
Brief history - The Las Cruces Public Schools Foundation began in 1998 as a 501(c)(3) organization for the purpose of soliciting contributions and grants to support the Las Cruces Public Schools (LCPS). The Foundation manages funds from individuals, business, trusts and other Foundations and organizations and helps donors identify areas of need and interest within our public schools. The managing Board of Directors is a group of local leaders that ensures the funds are invested and managed wisely.
Why are we needed?
- LCPS has approx. 25,000 students, 66% are identified as economically disadvantaged
- The economy has severely impacted the funding available from the State to schools
- New Mexico* – Where do we stand?
- Even with New Mexico rating near the top of the list for the percent of the State budget that is allocated for education we still rank near the bottom for the per student funding that goes to schools
- Per pupil spending: $9,767 (16th smallest in the nation)
- High school graduation rate: 0% (6th lowest in the nation)
- Overall ranking in the nation of 48th
- Budget cuts are still being asked of the schools
- The district DOES NOT have the resources to go beyond the basics – that’s what the Foundation does!!
Major Projects Supported by the Foundation:
- Teacher Grants – The Foundation has awarded more than $192,00 in competitive grants, some up to $5,000, to teachers, counselors and other school staff to help fund innovative classroom projects to enhance student learning in literacy, math, science, technology, and the arts.
- Scholarships – The Las Cruces Public Schools Foundation works closely with community supporters and generous donors to provide scholarship opportunities to seniors in the Las Cruces Public School District. The Foundation is proud to administer these scholarships in order to help students pursue their higher education goals. The scholarships range from $500 to $2000.
- Comcast Cares Day – The Foundation partners annually with Comcast Cable of Las Cruces, as thousands of employees and volunteers paint, clean and beautify LCPS schools.
- Celebration of Excellence in Education Awards Dinner – The Foundation partners with local businesses and individuals to sponsor an annual awards banquet. The LCPS Celebration of Excellence in Education Awards Dinner honors the LCPS Teacher of the Year, National Board Certified Teachers, recipients of the Dr. Sandra K. Nakamura Professional Award, and students who are finalists or semi-finalists in the National Merit Scholarship Program and National Hispanic Scholars.
- TEACHER GRANT APPLICATIONS NOW BEING ACCEPTED!.
- TEACHER GRANTS NOW AVAILABLE!.
- LCPS Foundation Seeks Executive Director.
- TEACHER/STAFF GRANTS AVAILABLE from the Las Cruces Public Schools Foundation!.
- LCPS Foundation Has Successful Year; More Coming in 2014-15.
- Hermosa Heights E.S. Has Growing Tower Garden.
- Hundreds Turn Out for Comcast Cares Day at Mesilla E.S..
- Tapia Is 2015 Teacher of the Year; Torres is Bilingual Teacher of the Year.
- LCPS Foundation Scholarships Application Deadline Extended to April 18.
- LCPS Foundation Grant Helps BTW Students Attend Mariachi Conference.