More than 24,000 students in the Las Cruces Public Schools will head back to school in the coming days for the 2018-19 school year, with the first day of classes for most students on Monday, Aug. 13. Kindergarten students will begin Aug. 14 and preschool students start classes on Aug. 16. Arrowhead Park Early College High School and Arrowhead Park Medical Academy will begin their fall classes on Wednesday, Aug. 15, officials said.
While teachers and many other district staff return to work on Wednesday, Aug. 8, the dates for student registration, schedule pickups, student and parent orientation and starting dates are as follows:
- Thursday, Aug. 9: Registration for kindergarten through 5th grades is 9-11 a.m.; Bus routes and times, meal applications, supply lists, and visits with teachers are available; No bus service is available;
- Monday, Aug. 13: Classes begin for 1st-through-5th grades, while kindergarten students will have a transition day;
- Tuesday, Aug. 14: kindergarten classes begin, while preschool students will have their transition day;
- Wednesday, Aug. 15: preschool classes begin.
- Parents should check with their individual schools for registration and schedule pick up information.
- Mesilla Valley Leadership Academy: Will hold a New Student Induction Day, Friday, Aug. 10 from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at 950 S. Walnut.; All student schedules will be distributed on the first day of school.
- Thursday, Aug. 9: Sixth graders and their parents will attend an orientation and will pick up their schedules. Check with the school for specific times.
- Monday, Aug. 13: Classes begin for 6th-through-8th grades;
Arrowhead Park Early College High School and Arrowhead Medical Academy:
Located on the New Mexico State University campus, the two schools follow a schedule based on the NMSU academic year and the calendar is different from the LCPS calendar.
- Thursday, Aug. 9 through Tuesday, Aug. 14: Summer break.
- Wednesday, Aug. 15: Fall semester classes begin at 9 a.m.
All Other LCPS High Schools:
- Monday, Aug. 13: Classes begin for 9th-through-12th grade students
- Any high school student who is new to LCPS should register immediately. Returning students who selected their classes last spring will pick up their class schedules on the following dates and times:
- Centennial High: Most students have already picked up their schedules. Those who haven’t should contact the school as soon as possible. Orientation for incoming freshmen will be held Wednesday, Aug. 8 in the main gymnasium.
- Las Cruces High: Most seniors have already picked up class schedules. Those who haven’t should contact the school as soon as possible. Registration for juniors will be Monday, Aug. 6, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sophomores may register between 8 a.m. and 1 p.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 7. Freshmen can have their student ID photos taken between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 8. They can also fill out any outstanding paperwork at that time. Freshman orientation begins at 6 p.m. Wednesday in the gymnasium.
- Mayfield High: Class schedules will be distributed on Monday, Aug. 6 for seniors and juniors; seniors from 8:00-11:00 a.m. and juniors from 12:30-3:30 p.m.; and Tuesday, Aug. 7 for sophomores and freshman; sophomores from 8:00-11:00 a.m. and freshman from 12:30-3:30 p.m. Freshman orientation will take place at 6 p.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 8, in the main gymnasium.
- Oñate High: Most students have already picked up their schedules. Those who haven’t should contact the school as soon as possible. Orientation for incoming freshmen will be held Wednesday, Aug. 8 in the main gymnasium.
- Rio Grande Preparatory Institute: Class schedules will be distributed on the first day of classes, Monday, Aug. 13.
— Damien Willis, LCPS Director of Communications, 575-527-5811, email@example.com