Based on votes from activity representatives across the state, LCPS Executive Director of Athletics Ernie Viramontes was elected to a four-year term as Chairman of the New Mexico Activities Association (NMAA) commission at the association’s quarterly meeting Wednesday, Sept. 6. The commission is responsible for proposing recommendations regarding statewide Association policies, rules, regulations and operating procedures to the NMAA Board of Directors.

Ernie Viramontes

Executive Director of Athletics Ernie Viramontes

“Ernie is one of the best athletic directors in New Mexico,” said Superintendent Dr. Greg Ewing. “His dedication to our student athletes and his passion for athletics led him to become an influential figure at the NMAA, so it’s wonderful to see him recognized by his colleagues.”

As chairman, Viramontes will serve as the commission’s primary representative on the NMAA Board of Directors.

“I’m excited to share my voice and do what’s best for our student athletes,” Viramontes said. “I’m honored that my peers at the NMAA selected me for this role, and I look forward to working with such an influential group to help shape the future of sports and activities all over New Mexico.”

Viramontes has served as the athletics director for the district for the past 14 years and has held a variety roles throughout his 34-year career with LCPS.

In his new role at the NMAA, Viramontes will serve alongside LCPS Superintendent Dr. Greg Ewing as a voting member of the Board of Directors. LCPS is currently the only district with two voting members on the Board.