Welcome to the start of another wonderful school year at Las Cruces Public Schools! Superintendent Dr. Greg Ewing would like to welcome all of our students, teachers, staff, volunteers and families to the 2017-18 school year with a special message.

Click Here to view the Superintendent’s welcome video

Dear LCPS Employees,

On this first day of school, I would like to take a moment and say thank you for the dedication, talent, and extreme devotion each of you commit to our students every day.

As a former classroom teacher, I remember my first day of teaching and the excitement that it brings.  To our teachers, I give you my thanks for what you do each day and I encourage you to reclaim your classrooms and enjoy the art of teaching.  There has been much attention placed on standardized testing over the last few years, but you and I understand that a test should be used to drive instructional practices, enhance the lessons previously delivered and allow us to create our next lesson plan based on students’ knowledge.  Tests should never be used to denigrate students nor shame teachers.  I empower you to return to teaching.  Teach your subject areas with the experience and knowledge you already possess; show your students the enthusiasm teachers have about their respective fields; and finally, be that teacher you are and were before the days of standardized testing.  With solid and outstanding teaching, valid tests will demonstrate the knowledge and skills you have imparted on your students.  And so, I simply say, enjoy the year and teach!

To our many support personnel, whether it is serving meals, managing our front offices, keeping our buildings safe, clean, or well-maintained, we would not exist without your daily perseverance and dedication. This also includes our hard-working staff at the administrative offices.  If teaching is the heartbeat of a school building, you are the necessary support that allows that beat to continue.  I am proud of your service and dedication, not only to the students but to the LCPS community.

Regardless of your position or title within our organization, we are all one — one family, one community, one group of educators with one goal in mind:  supporting, nurturing, and educating students.  As we continue our goal for another school year, I would like to say thank you to all of the employees and challenge you to enjoy each day with a “look, listen, and learn” perspective. Look at the students engaged in learning, listen to their comments, and learn from them as they learn from us.

In closing, I wish all of you the best for the 2017-2018 school year.  Principals are here to support schools and staff.  And, the entire Executive Cabinet and I are here for you, as well.  I am humbled to serve as your leader and remain at the service of our principals, teachers, and support staff with pride.

Cordially,

Greg Ewing, Ed.D.

Superintendent

Las Cruces Public Schools